The leader of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard on Tuesday threatened to “set ablaze” places supported by the United States over the killing of a top Iranian general in a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad last week, prompting a crowd of supporters to cry “Death to Israel,” Fox News reports.
The latest threat came shortly after a report indicated that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is working on distancing Israel from the U.S.-led airstrike that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani. Netanyahu told Security Cabinet ministers that the attack “is a U.S. event, not an Israeli event, and we should stay out of it,” according to a report in Axios.
BREAKING: Iran says it is considering 13 scenarios to respond to the killing of Soleimani, adding the least among them would be a “historic nightmare” for the U.S.
— Alex Salvi (@alexsalvinews) January 7, 2020
Iran’s National Security Council Monday, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said any retaliatory attack on American interests in the Middle East should be carried out openly by Iranian forces themselves. It must be a direct and proportional attack on American interests, he said, openly carried out by Iranian forces themselves.
“We are ready to take a fierce revenge against America,” Gen. Hamid Sarkheili of the Revolutionary Guard declared to the throng. “American troops in the Persian Gulf and in Iraq and Syria are within our reach.”
“No negotiations or deal, only war with America,” funeral attendees chanted in a video shared with The New York Times.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad, on Tuesday, said that his country would retaliate for the U.S. strike that killed a top Iranian general, but he said that “unlike Trump” has threatened to do, the Islamic Republic would respond in a proportionate manner “against legitimate targets.”
Zarif said the U.S. killing of Soleimani was “an act of war done in a terrorist, cowardly operation, and Iran will take an appropriate response… Action by the U.S. has consequences that will happen, and I believe it has already started.”